FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What kind of controller to play comfortably?

<<

MikeyBuur

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 am

Re: What kind of controller to play comfortably?

I'm using a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas.
I've got it set up so that the thumb "hat" switch handles X-Y translation, the main stick covers off pitch \ yaw and roll and the thrust is on the throttle.
Seems to work pretty well for me but I'm nowhere near chucking it around the sky like Sean does :)
<<

Ci2e

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

MikeyBuur wrote:I'm using a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas.
I've got it set up so that the thumb "hat" switch handles X-Y translation, the main stick covers off pitch \ yaw and roll and the thrust is on the throttle.
Seems to work pretty well for me but I'm nowhere near chucking it around the sky like Sean does :)

You make me miss my Saitek x52 Pro...
Last edited by Ci2e on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Leigh

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 am

SullyAg wrote:I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which Lunar Flight detected immediately and had no problems configuring. Works great.

Snap! It's a great little joystick ain't it? I find the throttle a little over sensitive though.
<<

Ci2e

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:56 pm

x360 all the way, it's supported by default in most games these days and it works well for flying/driving/rpg games.

I haven't even had to look at the controller config for Lunar Flight not once, and it works great.
<<

Armante

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm with Ci2e - I use a wireless Xbox360 controller (leftover from a brief foray into consoles..) and it's works really well with LF. The shoulder buttons for spinning around your axis, up 'n down main thrust on triggers, double sticks for directional thrust and attitude thrusters. It all just works and makes sense :)
<<

Smokinhole

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 am

How do you get the wireless controller to work on your PC?
<<

sh0v0r

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:34 am

Smokinhole wrote:How do you get the wireless controller to work on your PC?

You need to buy the wireless USB receiver to get a Wireless X360 controller to work on PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Ha ... dows.aspx/
<<

Bishop

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 am

Personally I love using "Motionjoy" then hooking up my ps3 controller and emulating the xbox 360 with it.
The ps3 analog sensitivity is soo much better than the 360's imo. Allows for much smoother analog movement.

Example:
If I press the 360 analog with 1% pushing force, it moves at like a +5% speed..
On the ps3 a 1% pushing force moves at like a +2-3% speed.

So picture the analogs range being a 1-100% scale. You loose being able to press 1-4% on the xbox which means you get very minimal "low movement" range.
This is extremely important when you want to make very small analog movements.
Like using a sniper rifle in games for example.. You need that small movement range.

Xbox has a bad dead zone as well. Which is likely a huge factor in that.
It's like the deadzone is set at 10%, where as on the ps3 I can set it at 3%.. I so much as look at my controller and think "move right" it goes a tiiinnnyyy bit right.. Just the way I like it..

PS3 controller works wirelessly, with motionjoy and bluetooth, as well as wired..
<<

ashwalk

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 am

[SOLVED] (kinda)

Hi guys, Sean.
I hope this is the best thread for this issue:
I bought Lunar Flight today, and as of yet I can't seem to get my xBox 360 controller to work. Some buttons trigger inputs, and I'm guessing they are not necessarily the correct ones, but the analog sticks and analog triggers do nothing. When I try to map keys, moving the sticks won't set a new value, so my best guess is that the game is recognizing another driver as my xBox 360.

This controller works fine with other games.

Additional info: I have virtual joystick drivers installed (PPVirtual Joystick) for use as a generic input remapper. That has never interfered with games before, but could it be the case? Disabling them won't solve the issue.

[EDIT]
Ok, how dumb of me. I realized I can remap my analog controls at the "Input" tab on the splash window befor the game starts.
<<

sh0v0r

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 am

ashwalk wrote:[SOLVED] (kinda)

Hi guys, Sean.
I hope this is the best thread for this issue:
I bought Lunar Flight today, and as of yet I can't seem to get my xBox 360 controller to work. Some buttons trigger inputs, and I'm guessing they are not necessarily the correct ones, but the analog sticks and analog triggers do nothing. When I try to map keys, moving the sticks won't set a new value, so my best guess is that the game is recognizing another driver as my xBox 360.

This controller works fine with other games.

Additional info: I have virtual joystick drivers installed (PPVirtual Joystick) for use as a generic input remapper. That has never interfered with games before, but could it be the case? Disabling them won't solve the issue.

[EDIT]
Ok, how dumb of me. I realized I can remap my analog controls at the "Input" tab on the splash window befor the game starts.

Yes you can but it is recommended that you leave them as they are for the mapping in game to function correctly.

If there is another joystick device plugged in (virtual or otherwise) it maybe using the ID that the game expects the X360 controller to be using by default.

That's why if you manually assign the axis in the launcher it will work.

The game uses some wrapper code for input mapping in game because Unity has no support for reassigning the axis once the game is running.

If you want to Reset the axis ID assignments to the defaults there is a batch file in the games folder that you will need to run to do that.
PreviousNext

Return to Input