FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What kind of controller do you use?

<<

MFToast

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 am

What kind of controller do you use?

Hey guys, just wanted to start a discussion of what sort of controllers you're all using, and how you have them configured.

I currently have just a simple, cheap 8-button joystick with a throttle, hat switch, and twist feature.

It's a bit strange at first, but I have my thrust control set to the throttle, with a dead zone of about 3.5. This can cause trouble with thrust lock, but I don't really need it this way.

As far as attitude control, I have the twist axis set to yaw, left/right set to roll, and up/down set to pitch.

My hat switch controls RCS thrust, left/right and forward/backward.

EDIT: Hilarious, didn't realize there was a section all about controllers. My bad! Move it if you want.
Last edited by MFToast on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

sh0v0r

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 am

Re: What kind of controller do you use?

MFToast wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to start a discussion of what sort of controllers you're all using, and how you have them configured.

I currently have just a simple, cheap 8-button joystick with a throttle, hat switch, and twist feature.

It's a bit strange at first, but I have my thrust control set to the throttle, with a dead zone of about 3.5. This can cause trouble with thrust lock, but I don't really need it this way.

As far as attitude control, I have the twist axis set to yaw, left/right set to roll, and up/down set to pitch.

My hat switch controls RCS thrust, left/right and forward/backward.

Yeah that's the same way I setup my old MS Sidewinder Precision Joystick.

If you have a throttle lever you don't really need thrust lock since the level will hold a position. The thrustlock was added mainly to compensate the X360 controller or keyboard controls.
<<

Pulec

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 am

I am using wireless gamepad Logitech F710 which acts as a Xbox 360 controller.
I got quite used to the controls, but sometimes I fly somewhat panicky, especially during time trials so it looks like I am playing Street Fighter :D
But I am trying to learn to fly carefully and save fuel, but with maxed out upgrades everything seems so easy...

I have been wondering how Lunar Flight is played on Joysticks, I want to buy Saitek Cyborg F.L.Y. 5 and I can imagine the setup MFToast described,
except the RCS jets on hat I am using them a lot on my left trigger and they are quite important especially when landing and the hat on saitek does not look very comfortable.
But controlling yaw, roll and pitch could be somewhat more precise and of course the throttle which requires delicate movement of a finger.

btw +1 for moving to input forum, lets keep it clean :-)
ksp.majncraft.cz - Czech Kerbal Space Program and Other space games on Minecraft, Cobalt, Dwarf Fortress and other Indie Games forum
<<

Richthofen56

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 am

I simply use an XBox 360 controller which I find ideal.
As I stay away from pitch and roll like a demon, I find its all I need.

Now if I can only find a one-handed controller so I can hold that martini in the other hand :)

Don't drink and drive...
Don't even putt!

Dean Martin
<<

GoldenShadow

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:36 am

See my post here for Joystick control
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24&start=20#p592
<<

showtime100

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:45 am

I am using a Saitek X52, getting the throttle to feel just right took some working. The multitude of hats and buttons and sliders give me pretty good control where I do not have to remove my hands from the stick.

Return to Tips